Astute preparation will lay the foundation for a successful rhinoplasty cosmetic surgery procedure. More effective results and easier recovery are possible when the patient is well-prepared for the surgery.
Prior to the Consultation
The preparation for rhinoplasty can begin from the moment the patient has made up their mind to go ahead with the procedure. The patient can take the following preparatory steps before they visit the surgeon’s office for a consultation:
- Ask the primary care physician and specialists to send over the health records to the surgeon’s office. The surgeon may learn about any pre-existing breathing problems, sinus, chronic conditions or allergies from these records.
- Contact the medical insurance company to find out if rhinoplasty cosmetic surgery costs may be fully or partially covered under certain circumstances.
- Carry along the relevant insurance documents to the surgeon’s office at the time of initial consultation.
- Make a list of ongoing prescription and non-prescription medications, including herbal supplements and vitamins.
- Review the surgeon’s website to gain some familiarity with the practice prior to consultation.
- Note down specific questions and concerns to address during the consultation.
- Select photos from magazines or websites that represent the type of nose or the face the patient wants to have.
With this simple advance preparation, the patient will have a more productive consultation process, save on time, and focus on getting ready for the procedure.
Candidacy and Surgery Planning
The surgeon will determine the patient’s candidacy for rhinoplasty based on their health records, personal cosmetic goals and their unique facial and nose anatomy. Based on the health evaluation and patient’s feedback, the surgeon will create a customized surgical plan for rhinoplasty.
As a part of the pre-op preparation, the surgeon will also help the patient to form reasonable expectations from rhinoplasty. They will encourage the patient to review several rhinoplasty before and after photographs to know exactly what the procedure can or cannot do for them.
The process for insurance or financial loan application can also be initiated once the patient has made the final decision about the surgery.
Prior to the Surgery
The patient should make arrangements for transportation and aftercare in advance. After the rhinoplasty procedure, they will need someone to drive them back home safely. They should also have someone to assist them with the household chores in the first two or three days. This is not time to go out running in the hot sun or rain for an extended period of time or any period of time.
The patient will have to completely stop smoking and taking certain medications and herbal supplements for a certain period of time prior to the surgery. They should start taking a healthy diet, which is particularly rich in lean proteins in order to support early healing. The patient should also go over the post-operative recovery instructions well in advance and plan for any arrangements ahead of the surgery.