Preparing For Breast Reconstruction Surgery
Breast reconstructive cosmetic surgery is a major procedure that involves a fairly lengthy treatment. The patient must be ready to commit time for the surgery and prepare adequately for the procedure as per the surgeon’s instructions. During the pre-op consultation, the surgeon will provide the preparation instructions to the patient.
Khan Plastic Surgery, led by reliable board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Farah Naz Khan, provides breast reconstruction to patients in Dallas, Texas and surrounding locations in the illustrious state of Texas.
Main Preparatory Steps
Before the breast reconstruction surgery, the patient will need to do the following in preparation:
- Undergo a chest x-ray, specific blood tests, and an electrocardiogram. In certain instances, the surgeon may ask for specialized mammograms.
- Avoid smoking for a minimum of one month before the reconstructive procedure to support the recovery process.
- Refrain from taking anti-inflammatory medications, blood thinners, and specific herbal supplements and vitamins that can lead to bleeding.
- Change the schedule of prescription meds through consulting the physician.
- Stay sufficiently hydrated for many days before and after the procedure for ideal results.
- Increase consumption of lean proteins, and adhere to a well-balanced diet for many weeks before the breast reconstruction surgery.
Preparation at Home
The patient can ensure a seamless transition from the surgical venue to home by making certain preparations before the breast reconstruction surgery.
The preparation includes:
- Ensure that essential articles at home are within convenient reach as lifting the arms will be disallowed for some days post-surgery.
- Arrange frozen food or enlist someone to help prepare meals for the initial few days.
- Avoid lifting weights that are more substantial than five pounds for six weeks after the surgery. It is advisable to have assistance for such work for the initial few weeks.
- Purchase essential items and clothes before the surgery.
- Finish any essential household chores or work-related assignments prior to the procedure to enjoy a relaxed recovery period.
After the breast reconstruction cosmetic surgery, the patient may be unable to pull a top over her head for a few days. Therefore, she should arrange for some loose button-down or front zipper shirts and sweat shirts in advance. Sweatshirts with built-in pockets can be useful for tucking in the drain tubes.
If the patient undergoes abdominal muscle flap reconstructive surgery, she may have to arrange for comfortable fitting pants without an elastic waistband. The patient should also avoid bending over to wear shoes and should have some easy slip-on sandals or slippers at hand.
The patient should arrange for some extra pillows and blankets for her bed. The patient may keep a phone, TV remote, some magazines and books, a handheld mirror, and a medicine box on the bedside table. She should also have some measuring cups handy in the bathroom to empty the drains as instructed by the surgeon.
The aftercare should be per the specific requirements of the patient for a comfortable and speedy recovery. Board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Farah Naz Khan receives patients from Dallas, Texas and other neighborhoods and communities in this region of the country.