Many women associate femininity closely with their breasts. For women who are unhappy with the appearance of the breasts due to aging, pregnancy, or weight loss, breast cosmetic surgery offers an effective and proven solution.
At the time of initial consultation, the surgeon will carefully determine the patient’s candidacy for a breast surgery procedure. Board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Farah Naz Khan provides breast surgery to patients in Dallas, Texas and surrounding locations in the illustrious Lone Star State.
Breast Augmentation Candidates
The primary reasons for seeking breast surgery among candidates are as follows:
- Create better proportion between the breasts and the rest of the body
- Make differently sized or shaped breasts more symmetrical.
- Feel more appealing and feminine
- Recreate fullness in the breasts that may have been lost during pregnancy, nursing, or weight loss
- Address congenital defects in one or both breasts
- Enhance self-confidence and body image
- Add size and shape to breasts that have been unable to develop completely after puberty, also known as micromastia
The FDA has approved both silicone and saline breast implants for breast augmentation. However, it stipulates that only women aged 22 or over can receive these implants. In the case of saline implants, the permissible age is 18 and over.
Breast Lift Candidates
Women in good overall health with drooping breasts are good candidates for breast lift cosmetic surgery. Patients should have realistic expectations from the outcomes of the breast lift procedure. While women with any sized breasts can undergo breast lift surgery, it is most beneficial for women with smaller breasts.
Candidates for breast lift surgery should have the following characteristics:
- Be above 18 years of age.
- Have sagging breasts which means the breasts have stretched skin with less fullness than in the past.
- Be in good health and emotionally sound.
- Not be pregnant or nursing.
- Not planning to become pregnant in the near future.
- Be in their ideal weight range with no intentions for significant weight loss.
Breast Reduction Candidates
The traditional anchor pattern technique for breast reduction surgery is an ideal choice for patients with oversized breasts. This approach enables the surgeon to remove more excess skin and breast tissue than other techniques.
Moreover, this technique is also more viable for women with more glandular tissue in comparison to glandular fat. This is a common occurrence in women who are very thin, women with extra dense breast tissue, and women who have not achieved menopause yet.
Many breast reduction candidates should ideally possess a strong will to undergo the breast reduction in order to address the pain and discomfort due to oversized breasts.
Breast Reconstruction Candidates
Breast reconstruction candidates after a mastectomy are women who have lost one or both breasts during cancer treatment. The process of breast reconstruction can commence at the same time as the mastectomy or after the patient has recovered.
Reconstructed breasts cannot appear or feel the same as a natural breast. Nevertheless, it can help the patient significantly on the road to feeling emotionally and physically like her previous self. Suitable breast reconstruction candidates are as follows:
- Desires the restoration of her breast shape and size
- Does not smoke
- Is free of cancer
- Has endured the previous treatment and diagnosis well
- Is not diabetic and does not have high blood pressure
Focused board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Farah Naz Khan receives patients from Dallas, Texas and other cities and communities in this section of America for breast surgery.